Thursday, July 19, 2007

Clear the Clutter


You know that every time you walk past that pile of old, yellow newspapers in the corner, by the kitchen door, you sigh. You suck your teeth when you dig through that drawer to try and find the spare gate key. You have probably stopped opening the hall closet door at all, for fear that you will be caught in an avalanche.
We have gotten so used to, and maybe even comfortable with the presence of clutter, that we ignore the nuisance and inconvenience of it. The problem is that we don't really ignore it. Clutter is an energy zapper, mood killer and a prison warden. If you are feeling like me right about now, then something has got to change.
I have had a revelation in the last few months. The clutter in my home is a manifestation of my personal emotional and mental, clutter. Many 40ish woman (Halle Berry isn't reading this!) have added some clutter to their beautiful bodies. They also might be experiencing some challenges in concentration and focus. In addition, you might be feeling something akin to anxiety or depression. And as if ALL of this isn't enough, your relationship could use a really good colonic!
Just look around you and pick something that needs to go. Pick just ONE thing. I am going to start with my purse. It is relatively non-threatening and I have regular, consistent interaction with it. All those old receipts (what do I still have them for, I have worn the shoes 25 times?!) I can't dig any more color out of that old lipstick tube with my fingernail…get RID of it! The pacifier has got to GO. The twins are two years old!
I am just starting there. I will clear the clutter one project at a time, purse, desk, linen closet, garage, colon….man??? If necessary, he will have to go too!
You MUST start somewhere if you are serious about change. Inside-Out, Outside- In. It doesn't matter. Pick a project. Finish it. You are on your way to transforming your life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, Janie! You know how organized I can be and for the most part my home is very organized right now. But clearing the man clutter is the fog that I live in. Should I stay or should I go? I am trying not to be a quitter for once in my life when things are not going the way that I invisioned them. This is not my dream relationship, but I am trying to be comitted for once in my life! He is a faithful, committed and intense man...but I think that I am going off on a tangent which is a blog for another day...

Joy is right, you are really good and I am most proud of your skills Sistah!

I would offer to come help you organize and de-clutter more than your purse, but my man would insist that I am placing him on the bottom of my priority list!