Friday, September 28, 2007

Finding Balance


Soooooo, after I was lulled into a false sense of perfection by summer vacation, school started. I started back to work and all hell broke loose. My wonderfully stacked linen closets are now either empty or ravaged. Dinner does not sing "G. Garvin" melodically, but screams, HAMBURGER HELPER, hoarsely. My 40 minute, morning power walks are now 15 minutes of running up and down the back stairs at work while my students are at recess.

In search of balance? With all we have on our plates, it is difficult to keep the scale from tipping more in one direction than the other. "The other" represents work, children, home, more work, kids,dishes & laundry, soccer practice, grocery shopping etc. The "light" side is YOU. It is unfortunate for those of us that must schedule "me time" either at 11:00 p.m. or 4:30 a.m.! These are the times when the house is quiet and we can do ANY activity quietly and uninterrupted. Is there something wrong with that.?

Sometimes we think we are alone in this quest to balance our lives. To get everything done with a smile and time left over for ourselves is something that occurs between midnight and 5:00 a.m., in our dreams. Coffee keeps us moving, late night re-runs put us to sleep. I don't think this is how it is supposed to be!

You know misery loves company. I just thought that some people had a schedule, had balance and stuck to it. You know, Saturday morning 8 a.m - grocery story, 10 a.m. - laundry, 12 p.m. - park with the kids, on time EVERY DAY. That was my best friend. I listened to her schedule and knew that all I needed was discipline. I could DO IT ALL TOO! Recently, she took on the responsibility of caring for infant twins! HELLOOOOOO, LATE TO WORK!! Now don't get me wrong, I am not gloating in her new found "unbalance". It is just nice to know that I am not lazy, unorganized or unmotivated. It is about the fact that many of us are juggling around the schedules of people we love and/or are responsible for.

I think that the key is kind of like what we are taught about saving money. Deduct your savings FIRST! This insures/assures that you are doing YOU! OUr families are our first priority, however we cannot take care of the kids, family and work if we are raggedy and tired.

Make YOUR you time FIRST! Put it on a calendar, set it up with the nanny, hubby or baby sitter. YOUR TIME! Even if it is just a 30 minute walk, or 20 minutes in a hot bath. Schedule your YOU time, in the midst of the chaos, the baskets of unfolded clothes, kids crying, soccer practice, and dinner cooking, make time for you!

10 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Janie,

Sometimes it's better to leave the house for 'me' time. It's like when I try to take a break from work at my desk, I'm sitting at my desk so things come up, people stop by with questions, etc. So I really don't get a break. So I've learned to leave my desk when I really want a break.

Have you tried a spa? That might help to relieve some tension and it's a great way to pamper youself. They have day spa's so you can go and spend a few hours.

Lisa said...

If I leave the house I usually have a baby with me. I seem to be stuck with the 11PM "me" time.

Lydia said...

mes deaux,
A spa is a great idea! There is a massage with my name on it waiting for me some where.!

l.b.,
This is the reality isn't it. So balance is really about acceptance of what one's life really is, embrace it and finding what works best. It's all good!

Anonymous said...

GIRLLLLL!!! You know I was thrown all off any kind of a schedule once those precious bundles of joy came into my life. You are at the mercy of two people who collectively weigh 16lbs. I am starting to get the hang of it, seeing as though their momma gets them for a couple days at a time (you know that's a long story...)

We are going to NYC, seeing The Color Purple, getting a massage at Bliss, going to the Blue Note, and flirting with handsome 30 year old men who love to buy beautiful women drinks!! LOL

Anonymous said...

P.S. Everything on Blogger is still in CHINESE---except content and comments. What the heck did my 5 yr old do to my computer? LOL

Lydia said...

Joy,
You are cracking me up!! Yes, I think NYC is the balance answer! My Devin is a genius, so you need to learn chinese! Period.

Liz Dwyer said...

Such a good point about the balance thing and paying yourself first. You know, I have never been to a spa. I don't know why I find the prospect of going to one so intimidating.

Lisa Blah Blah said...

Amen! My husband is the early riser, so any "me" time for me has to be at 11 pm...at which point I am completely wrung out. I'll keep trying though!

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Janie,

You haven't posted in a while so I thought I just say hi and let you know I miss your thoughtful posts!

I hope you are doing well!

Lydia said...

Mes Deux,
You made my day and got me to post. Thank you!