Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hold Up! Wait a Minute! Part II


My explorations and meditations towards fully embracing life bring me to new realizations everyday! I have listened to the universe (and my kids) and have begun to leave the phone on silent, in the car as much as I can. When I get home, I put my computer in the office and close the door for at least 2 hours. So the technology is out of sight and mind.

I soon however, discovered another distraction....my brain!

How much time do we spend in the past and/or in the future instead of being "present"?

I have been a subscriber to Real Simple magazine for a couple of years now. Real Simple along with O magazine and Oprah's charge to "Live Your Best Life" are "presents" in my mailbox each month. ( and clutter in my bathroom, living room and nightstand, but that's another post).

Each, offers countless tips, tricks and "tried and true" ways to live a more fulfilling life. So I end up constantly thinking of ways to make things "better". Then, yesterday evening as I was trying to multi-task my evening away, attempting to "make things better for the next hour, day, week or infinity, I realized that one of my twins was earnestly trying to tell me something. Her mouth was poised in the most adorable contortion as she tried to make the words come out in some intelligible fashion. Her brow was furrowed and her hands were alive in the air, hopeful that the gestures would aid in my comprehension.

I realized in that moment, as I was mentally attempting to rectify all the past and future problems of my household and the world, that trying to figure out "What the hell she was trying to tell me was so much more important!" So I STOPPED. I stopped all thoughts, ideas, questions, worries from entering my brain at that moment simply by paying attention to only her.

It was a hilarious, full, enjoyable moment ( for me, because she clearly lost patience with my ignorant, non-toddler speaking self very quickly! Her hands were on her hips in exasperation. lol)

In that moment I realized how many moments might be passing me by. Moments of music, flowers, conversations with people I adore, smells, the breeze on my face, the feel of soft cotton or my tivoed Young and the Restless. These moments became shallow and fleeting, because I had not given them my full PRESENCE. Instead I had given them my partial presence, while I was busy pondering and/or planning something that had already happened or that was going to happen.

So I spent today, being present. Listening to the music that was on the radio. Listening to every note of the songs on my ipod. Feeling the chill in the air this morning as I bundled my brood into the car. Feeling my body sucked to the back of the seat of the plane as it took off today for business (yeah I had the shot of tequila, but I still focused on the moment! :) ). I absorbed every PRESENT moment. Peoples voices as I had conversations and the spare moments of silence. Breathing in and out. Each moment, I was present.

It feels so good! It is a free non-medicated, non-intoxicated relaxation technique. If you are being present, you can't be anything else. No matter what is going on, good, bad, in the middle, you relax. Not a little, but a lot, because there is only one thing in front of you.

So the universe sent me my toddler ,saying with a very serious face "PUPPIES GOOK! DORA FAVRIK PUPPIES! I FAVRIK PUPPIES. I PICK FAVRICK PUPPIES WIS DORA!!" Which simply means "Puppies are good. Dora has a favorite puppy. I have a favorite puppy. It is the same favorite puppy as Dora." Being present gave me "this present"!


Be present!

7 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Janie,

Thanks for sharing this. we get so caught up in the 'rat race' sometimes that we allow ourselves to forget what's really important.

Enjoy your trip.

Brianna said...

such a good lesson...we always forget about the present!

Black Wombmyn Chat said...

So true. When I think about how much time I spend living in the past (agonizing) or in the future (fantasizing), I realize I am NEVER here! Hah!

Lisa said...

Don't you just love how they talk when they are little?

Lydia said...

Mes deux,
In our world it IS easy to forget what's important. Thank you for helping ME to remember everytime I log on to your blog!!

Brianna,
it's true. The present is a gift!

dmb,
Yes! Yes! Agonizing and fantasizing are truly not the greatest ways to spend 90 % of our time.

Lisa,
I soooo love the way 2 year olds talk! I could listen to them all day.

Liz Dwyer said...

I find that I do a whole lot of daydreaming, and it makes me feel like I'm not fully present, even when the iPod is off, the computer is shut, etc.

It's hard to focus in a world filled with distractions.

Lydia said...

LIz,
Sooo many distractions. I have just been practicing giving my full attention to whatever I am doing at any moment. it is difficult, but effective in a meditative sense.