Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hold Up! Wait a Minute!


One day after work, a colleague pointed out one of the mothers picking her child up. She said " that lady is always on her cell phone." I watched her going in and coming out, and sure enough she walked into the building on the phone, she came out of the building on the phone and drove off on the phone, cute little girl in tow. Then for the next week I watched for this mother and everyday... every single day, she was on the phone when she pulled up and on the phone when she pulled off.

Another guy I work with had his computer crash a couple of weeks ago. You can imagine his face while in the middle of teaching it made that awful little "I'm Out" sound, and went black. He paced, lamented, pulled his hair. I wished him well and left for my weekend. On Monday, he had a new computer, but informed me that he and his toddler son, had the best weekend. "We played, chilled...I actually watched football without multi-tasking."

Before either of these occurrences, I had been considering my own "Blackberry-itis". That is the disease where some version of handheld/internet "world connection/life controller" is constantly attached to one or more parts of the body. I thought one day "what did I do before I had immediate access to all the people and information in CREATION, both pertinent and useless, 24/7?!!'

The answer, I concluded was that I paid attention and had patience.

I have noticed the impatient tapping of my hands and feet, when my texts are not replied to immediatly. I HIT the space bar with intolerance if a website takes longer than 10 seconds to load.

Technology is the blessing and curse of my existence. While it allows me to communicate, to numerous folks, seemingly all at the same time and give and get information in seconds, it also, pulls me into a sort of FAKE PRESENT TENSE. I am communicating with someone in "real time/the moment" but I am NOT "in the moment". Invariably, someone that is standing right in front of me and SHOULD have my attention, doesn't because of this sleek, sexy little distraction. In addition, when anything takes more than 15 seconds to respond to me, I become indignant! WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?!

Some companies around the globe have begun to issue Fridays "No email Fridays". Can you imagine?! Well , yes I can. The folks in charge are having the same revelations that all of us are. Technology, as wonderful as it is, is not a substitute for human contact. God forbid we actually have a CONVERSATION with someone! So on Fridays, people have to actually TALK to one another. If there is a problem, a question, they have to walk 20 feet to the next cubicle and ask. E-meets, iphone meets, sidekick meets are NO-NO's on Fridays. Hallelujah!

Now, don't get me wrong. I love-love-looooovee, my little Blackberry piece of heaven! But I realized that, my 2 year old twins and "teenage wonders", want my FULL attention, when they are counting from 1-25 (they're geniuses) or telling me about the latest Volleyball Tournament/Drama class.

One of the talk show hosts on Oprah and Friends (XM radio) ended her show one day by saying, "and when you pick your kids up from school today, hang up your cell phone." Wow! I began to replay all the days that I spend in the car with my beautiful, articulate, funny children when I haven't enjoyed any of that, because I was on the phone, talking about something that could have surely waited. So from now on, while my beautiful bundles are in the car, my phone is on some type of "emergency only" notification. I mean, really, what was I doing before "immediate access"? I was waiting until I got home. I can do the same now. Can you?

7 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Janie,

I love this post! One of my pet peeves is people on cel phones for no real reason. I get so tired of hearing other peoples inane conversations all the time! (lol)

I have not had a cel phone in a few years. I refuse to be available 24/7. Why would anyone want to take non-emergency phone calls while in line at the grocery?

And I'm sure your kids will notice the extra attention they are getting.It's the little things that kids remember and make a difference in their lives.

Thanks!

Lisa said...

You're right, of course. But I think I might still want a Blackberry...

Lydia said...

mes deux cents,
My kids do love the fact that I don't have to say "huh?! What did you say!" It is a little like detoxing for me. But I do hate being in line anywhere and hearing all of somebodies conversation/business with a person that isn't even there!

l.b.,
I do still love it! But I am going to practice moderation, like with all good things.

Liz Dwyer said...

I read this a couple of days ago and was totally feeling what you wrote. I was reminded of earlier this summer when I was computer-free for two weeks. I am such an addict that I went to the library every day to check my email.

And it's so easy to drive along and just yap to whoever calls. I miss that feeling of being unavailable.

Lydia said...

liz,
Exactly. It's like we need "permission" to be unavailable. Like a rainy day is an excuse to just stay at home, without the guilty feeling. We really do have control over the technology. Not the other way around.

Liz Dwyer said...

So, I've taken this to heart and I've stopped answering my cell phone every five seconds. I'm letting it go to voice mail and then I'm taking a couple of days to call folks back if it's not urgent. That feels much better. No more talking on the phone when the kiddos are around.

Lydia said...

Liz,
That's great! It's hard, but you're right and it DOES feel so much better not to be a slave to the constant ringing, or alerts. I think you have just inspired my next post! Thank you!