Sunday, November 18, 2007

The New Dirty Dancing?!


Friday night was my son's 13th birthday party. I have finally recovered physically (kinda) from the preparation, long day, loud blaring music and clean-up. I have not mentally or emotionally recovered however from the degree of "chaperoning" necessary.

I have been teaching middle school for 14 years. I have had middle schoolers of my own now for 3 years. In May, my graduating 8th grade class had a Spring Farewell Dance. They got all dressed up and partied. The dance until you sweat kinda partying that I can relate to. There were a few hoochified moments where we had to separate a couple of curious pubescents that were attempting to get "their grind on" in the midst of the crowd. Again, I could relate. (I am really going to date myself here) I have very vivid memories of me, a pair of Jordache Jeans (that I poured my willowy, 15 year old body into), Daryl Taylor (a SO FINE, tall, dark and handsome guard on our schools basketball team) and a Peaches and Herb slow jam! Yes, the grind was on!

I can understand, acknowledge and accept the awkward developmental stage of the 12-16 year old crowd. Their blossoming sexuality, wonderings, questions, crushes, moodiness, and impatience with anyone over 18, are natural in this stage of development. As uncomfortable as it makes the adults, it is natural! We have all been there. If we are honest, thinking, responsible adults that have adolescents in our lives, we handle this stage with patience, and proactivity. We listen carefully, very carefully to their questions and conversations, so that the communication, messages and lessons are clear. We want them to be confident and comfortable( as comfortable as they can be) about who they are and what they are experiencing. We want them to have self-respect and to respect others. We want them to be knowledgable about what it means to make responsible choices for themselves in the 21st century. This process is waaaaay more complex than I am able to discuss in the few words of this blog.

What I didn't realize is that apparently it is too complex for parents to tell their 13-15 years olds that LAP DANCING is not an acceptable dance in middle school...or high school....or ANYWHERE unless it is the privacy of your home or your place of employment if you happen to be a "stripper"!

So you can imagine my SHOCK, to put it mildly, when several of the boys at the party proceeded to get chairs and move them to the center of the room. I was confused by this for a moment, until I watched, appalled, as several of the girls proceeded to "choose" their boys, turn around and "pop that booty" in their laps!

As Oprah's BFF, Gayle King would say, "Aw, HELL TO THE NAW!!!"

My good friend/co-chaperone, went to the DJ, got a mike and made the announcement " ANYONE who is participating in lap dancing will have their parents, grandparents, aunites, uncles, WHOMEVER is your caregiver, called to come and pick you up!" The most disappointing part of this was that after the announcement, half of the kids sat down. They didn't know what to do when we took "stripper dancing" off the table?!

Now as much as I take up for Beyonce, my mind immediately flashed to the Prime Time BET awards of a year or so ago, when Destiny's Child, IN PRIME TIME, pulled Magic Johnson, Terrence Howard and Nelly to the stage and proceeded to give them lap dances in front of God and the world. At the time, I thought it simply "entertaining" cause I love me some Beyonce and I love, love, love me some Terrence Howard. In retrospect, I think of my own children's television/computer/media exposure. All of the televisions in my house have a ratings lock on them. When they ask me to unlock them, I need to know what it is that they are trying to watch. Only after my approval do I unlock it. I keep a constant eye on the computer screens as well. But they were sitting watching the BET awards with me that night. And I honestly don't remember the conversation during the "lap dance" segment.

But you better believe early Saturday morning, we had a serious conversation about many things, self-respect, respect of others, and appropriate forms of dancing. They are CLEAR that lap dancing is NOT on that list.

Overall, I feel sad that this generation of children and teenagers have had their innocence robbed from them. The gratuitous sex, violence, and "reality" of the television and internet have left little to the imagination, little for them to be shocked by. But much to learn and/or unlearn about being self-respecting, thinking, responsible, productive young adults.

Although my father would have snatched me off of the dance floor had he been witness to my 3 minute "relatively" innocent slow grind with Daryl Taylor, he would have been amused and relieved that most of my time at parties and dances was spent working up a sweat doing the Cabbage Patch, Smurf, Roger Rabbit or Running Man (I'm dating myself again). When we left "the spot" we were laughing, sweaty and ready for Fat Burger because we had "GOTTEN OUR GROOVE ON", NOT gotten our "GROOVE' on!?!

One good thing about my Friday night experience is that I TEACH most of the students who were at my son's party . My lesson and discussions for the next 2 days before Thanksgiving are clear. Something along the lines of "comparing and contrasting" Middle School Students with Strippers/Men who get lap dances!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Good Lord! Things have changed! I can't believe that those kids think that is ok. But you're right, that is what we are teaching them.

Anymore you need to really think about what they are watching on tv. I also use the V-chip thing. But even TLC glamorizes tattoos. Pretty common now but should it really be on THE LEARNING CHANNEL?

Lydia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lydia said...

L.B.
It is so hard to monitor the input our kids get 24/7. It was definitely a reality check. The learning channel should be age/appropriate developmental learning!! It just makes a parents job more challenging. We have to keep them from and/or de-program them from what the world says is cool/acceptable.

Liz Dwyer said...

What!?!

Okay, I'm officially scared to have my little boys grow up. Can't they stay little forever?

It is hard to preserve that innocence. Afternoon talk shows, commercials for what's going to be on primetime TV, it's all about sex. And my boys ears are wide open. Now, my six year old wants to know why people think about sex all the time. What a question!

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Janie,

All you have to do is listen to rap music to know why those 'little' girls were willing to perform lap dances.

I'm not a prude and I grew up listening to rap, but the rap being sold today is not about anything good. Rap culture teaches girls to be strippers and boys to disrespect girls. So sad.

I actually remember when rappers talked about empowerment. I know that seems unbelievable considering todays rap, but it's true.

Fortunatly your kids have you. You are paying attention, so I'm sure your kids will be fine. It's the other kids whose parents aren't paying attention that should worry all of us.

Lydia said...

Liz,
OMG! I can understand the shock of your sons question, but he is right. It does seem like sex is everywhere. Unfortunately, so much of that looks like women being objectified and men having a good time!

Mes Deux,

You are right. I remember those days too! When positive, conscious hip-hop was what sold. Unfortunately, today it seems the goal is to come up with new metaphors for sexual acts. What's funny is that some of my students can't interpret a metaphor in a piece of literature but they can interpret/explain what "superman that ho" means.