Monday, August 6, 2007

Peace. Be Still


Find a peaceful place. This is a hard task in my busy, chaotic household, but I am not just talking about a peaceful physical place. As a matter of fact, I am mostly talking about a peaceful mental, spiritual and emotional place. Sometimes we find ourselves stuck in the rut of replaying, retelling, reliving, reacting in negativity. Negative thoughts, negative talk, negative acts. Peace be still.

Begin to experience joy by thinking and living that which will bring you joy. Speak it, live it, be it. I am not saying that you ignore your problems, or pretend they don't exist. I am saying that when you find yourself inundated with negativity, stop. Find something beautiful to look at or listen to, play with your kids, take a walk in the park, do anything that allows the good to move in and the bad to move on out, even if just for a moment. If you do this enough, it might stick.

Many of us have been reading and discussing the bridge tragedy in Minnesota. It is cause for pause because you realize that everything you know can change in an instant. It sounds a bit cliche', but life is too short to do much else but experience that which brings us joy and peace.

2 comments:

Liz Dwyer said...

I've been going out for a walk with my sons every evening for the past few days and it's been really peaceful just listening their chatter and feeling the breeze rushing through the trees. It's been so peaceful that I've wondered why I wasn't doing it before. Conclusion: I definitely think I was in a rut.

Lydia said...

It's amazing how many times we can tell our little ones, "just a minute" or "not right now". Something so simple as a walk brings smiles to everyones faces. I do it sporadically, but there is no reason, why we can't just step outside every evening and experience a little bit of bliss. thank you!